API Plan 53A
Pressurized barrier fluid circulation in outboard seal of dual seal configuration through a seal support system. Circulation is maintained by using pumping ring in running condition and with thermosyphon effect in stand still condition.
- In no case media leakage to atmosphere (Provided the seal support system pressure is not lost).
- Clean fluid film formation between the inboard seal faces gives better seal life.
- Works as a Plan 52 arrangement if barrier fluid pressure is lost.
- Applications where no leakage to atmosphere can be tolerated e.g. hazardous, toxic, inflammable media.
- For dirty, abrasive or polymerizing products where media is unsuitable as a lubricant for inboard seal faces.
- There will always be some leakage of barrier fluid into the product.
- Check compatibility of barrier fluid with product.
- Always ensure that the pressure source maintains higher pressure at the seal support system so that process does not dilute the barrier fluid.
- Vent the system properly before start up.
- In certain cases the inert gas can dissolve in the barrier media.
- Product quality can deteriorate due to barrier fluid contamination.
Do you work with API qualified mechanical seals?